Wednesday 18 March 2020

Fresh start thanks to a new career ... and Covid-19

I haven’t looked at this blog in FOREVER! Anyone who has left sweet comments under my jewelry and steampunk stuff: I’m so sorry I never responded to you!!!
Lots has happened since I last blogged in 2013 (OMG it’s been that long!): we bought a house, renovated and moved, my beloved dog and companion of 11 years died of very aggressive cancer, we had two children and got a new puppy.

For financial and other reasons I left my old job and went back to school to become an elementary school teacher. Awesome side effect other than more money than my old job paid and better work hours? I get to teach ART and MUSIC and DRAMA! Dream come true! So over the last 2-3 years I’ve done lots of crafting with kids for various projects and always took pictures so that I can do them again in other classes.

Now, at the beginning of 2020, Corona happened. Last week I was celebrating my 37th birthday, 2 days later all of Germany’s schools, kindergarten and daycare institutions are shut down, people are hoarding toilet paper, hospitals are running out of face masks and sanitizer, areas in China and all of Italy and Spain are in lockdown to prevent the virus from spreading, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Germany was on lockdown by the end of the week, too. All those measurements are to stop the virus from spreading quickly so that our healthcare system and hospitals can cope treating the serious cases and doctors won’t have to make choices like currently in Italy, which is who are they putting on ventilators to help the sick breathe, and who has to sit in the hospital corridors and eventually die.
Sounds scary? Believe me, it is. It’s giving me sleepless nights and restless days...

BUT, this blog is not supposed to be said and full of fears and worry!
Many people are now stuck at home with their kids. While school children got at least some work to do for school (thanks to awesome teachers who spent their weekend in school whipping up plans, projects, worksheets for the students to be handed out Monday or be mailed out regularly), the younger ones want to be entertained. So I’m going to share things I’m doing with my 4-year-old, things I have done with him when he was younger, and things I’ve done in elementary school with my students.
Some posts will be in German, some in English, but I’ll try to at least do the list of materials in both languages so you can easily follow the pictures.
Ideas I got from Pinterest will be linked. My craft materials I usually get from German stores like Tedi, kik, Action and Aldi as well as Amazon.
I like to upcycle, so I collect things like empty jam jars, tins, toilet paper rolls and paper towel rolls, shoe boxes, egg containers and cardboard (thanks Amazon for your generous wrapping skills). Those are perfect to craft with kids, they’re free, you usually have some in the house,  and you can use them for so many different things! Since I have to feed my baby with formula, I currently also have a giant stash of empty metal tins with lids that are fantastic to repurpose!

So, time to revitalize this blog! Watch this space! My kid is home from Kindergarten for at least 5 weeks, there will be LOTS of crafting at our house!
I’m going to start sharing some crafts tomorrow!
(Almost midnight, so good night and happy crafting!)

No comments:

Post a Comment